Reframe your Metaphors, and other lessons from Y Combinator S21 Day 1
After a 17-hour marathon through nearly 200 startup pitches, the Equity team was fired up to get back on Twitter and chat through some early trends and favorites from the first day of Y Combinator’s demo party. We’ll be back on the air tomorrow, so make sure you’re following the show on Twitter so you don’t miss out.
What did Natasha and Alex chat about? The following:
- First impressions: We started by going through top-line numbers, geographic breakdown, and how the accelerator is doing when it comes to the representation of diverse founders. The last bit had a tiny bit of progress, but diversity continues to be an issue in YC’s batches — even as cohort size grows. We also chatted about what startups pitching can work on: like better mics, which are cheap and good.
- Our early favorites: Metaphor, Lumify, Alex’s favorite duo Indian real estate plays, Akudo, Reframe and Playhouse.
- And some hmmm moments, including our thoughts on Writesonic, which Natasha has a potentially paranoid theory on.
TechCrunch has extensive coverage of the day on the site, so there’s lots to dig into if you are in the mood. More tomorrow!
Equity drops every Monday at 7:00 a.m. PDT, Wednesday, and Friday at 6:00 a.m. PDT, so subscribe to us on Apple Podcasts, Overcast, Spotify and all the casts!
- LinkedIn to shutter 'stories' this month as it works on replacement video feature
- Tech event calendar 2021: Upcoming US shows, conferences, and IT expos
- Coral Capital closes third fund with $128M for startups in Japan
- Food delivery rider injuries down by 70%, latest NSW government data shows
- Analyst: iPhone 13 may be a satellite phone
- Korean 3D spatial data tool startup Urbanbase closes $11.1M Series B+ round